Hue Tombs Tour – Royal Tombs In Hue City
1. Hue tombs tour – What is it?
Hue tombs tour is a tour organized to take the tourists to many royal tombs in Hue city. Giving them a chance to explore the interesting history of Nguyen Dynasty and their architecture with the best itinerary, schedule and cost. There are many Hue royal tombs tours including full day tours, half day tours, group tours and private tours suitable for all the needs of the tourists.
2. How many Hue royal tombs in Hue city
Hue city is the imperial capital in central Vietnam that was flourishing during the Nguyen Dynasty. Hue city attracts a lot of tourists all over the world also thanks to the remaining monuments of that time, especially the system of royal tombs.
Though there were 13 Emperors during the Nguyen Dynasty, there are just 7 royal tombs were built due to many political –economy circumstances. The tombs are in many different styles, but share many common characteristics. Six royal tombs are located to the southeast of the Hue Citadel on the other side of the Perfume River and a single tomb is on the same side (Minh Mang tomb).
The tombs are now to bury 10 Kings of the Nguyen Dynasty. Below is the list of 7 royal tombs:
Hue Tomb Tour – Private Tour
- Private Tour
- 1 Day
2.1 Gia Long Tomb (Thien Tho Lang) : The best tomb for intrepid adventurers
Gia Long tomb is the tomb of the first emperor of the Nguyen Dynasty: Gia Long King. The tomb is beside the Perfume River, between the lush pine forests on Dai Thien Tho Mountain, surrounded by mountains, rivers and trees. It is nature that creates the majestic look for the entire structure. However, the tomb is the farthest one of the 7 royal tombs which make it somewhat inaccessible and isn’t much visited.
2.2: Minh Mang Tomb ( Hieu Lang) : The best for history and culture buffs
This tomb is the eternal home of Emperor Minh Mang. It is located on mount Cam Khe, on the west bank of Perfume River, about 12km from Hue center.
The tomb is different from the rest of imperial tombs because of its artistic ideological values. It is a perfect combination of nature and structures where architecture fits harmoniously into the surrounding landscape. This make it unmatched among tombs in Hue. This harmony reveals a lot about personality of Minh Mang emperor and his characteristics during his reign.
2.3: Thieu Tri Tomb ( Xuong Lang): The best for escaping the crowds
This tomb is the resting place of Thieu Tri Emperor – the 3rd Emperor of Nguyen Dynasty
It is located in Cu Chanh village, Thuy Bang commune, Huong Thuy district, about 8km south of Hue citadel. Thieu Tri Tomb is considered a combination of two architectural models of his two predecessors’ tombs: Gia Long Tomb; Minh Mang tomb.
2.4: Tu Duc Tomb ( Khiem Lang) ( the most poetic tomb): The best for dreamers and romantics
Tu Duc tomb is the tomb of Tu Duc King. It is located in an immense pine valley about 8km from Hue city. This tomb was designed by Emperor Tu Duc himself before his death. It is one of the most beautiful tombs of royal architecture of the Nguyen Dynasty with large park, beautiful lake and green pine trees. This is a poetic jewel set in an intricate tomb.
2.5: Duc Duc Tomb ( An Lang) : The best for quick sightseeing
Duc Duc tomb is the resting place of 3 kings: Duc Duc King, Thanh Thai King & Duy Tan King
It is located in Tay Nhat village, An Cuu village, less than 2 km from the city. This is the simplest and modest tomb of the 7 royal tombs.
2.6: Dong Khanh Tomb ( Tu Lang) The best for countryside vistas
This tomb is the resting place of Emperor Dong Khanh. It is located between Thieu Tri Tomb and Tu Duc tomb. This tomb is the smallest of the seven royal tombs in Hue, with stained glass windows and terra-cotta reliefs mixing with typical Eastern design influences.
2.7: Khai Dinh Tomb ( Ung Lang) : The best for something completely different
Khai Dinh Tomb is the resting place of Emperor Khai Dinh, the second last king of the Nguyen Dynasty. This tomb is situated in Chau Chu Mountains, about 10km away from Hue city. It is a small tomb, but most costly and most sophisticated in architecture in comparison with other tombs of Nguyen royals. This tomb is a masterpiece of glass and terracotta in Hue.
3. Which royal tomb the traveler should visit in Hue city
- A stay in Hue would not be complete without a visit to the stunning Hue royal Tombs. However, which royal tomb the traveler should visit in Hue?
- All the royal tombs are nice and worth visiting, however, not all of them are well-known with tourists. Among 7 royal tombs of the Nguyen Emperors in Hue, there are 3 most popular tombs: Khai Dinh tomb, Minh Mang tomb and Tu Duc tomb. And these 3 tombs are added to most of the Hue city tours or Hue tombs tour.
- If you have just 1 day in Hue and are interested in visiting the tombs, a royal tomb tour with these 3 famous tombs (Khai Dinh, Minh mang, Tu Duc tomb) and Citadel,… will be a good choice for you. This is because these tombs are still in good condition, have good location and size and have nice architecture that suitable for arranging a full day or half day tour. And of course, most of tourists coming to Hue will choose these tombs for convenience.
Travel Budget Recommendation for Tombs in Hue
- The entrance tickets for the 3 popular tombs are so high compared to the rest. To save the cost, but still have a chance to visit the tombs, you can choose a Hue tomb tour with visiting the less famous tombs (Thieu Tri Tomb, Dong Khanh tomb; Gia Long tomb). You can take the tour by car, by motorbike, and even by bicycle.
- Duc Duc tomb is close and easy to reach, but it is small and has an extremely simple and modest architecture. It is also not on the way to other tombs. Therefore, this tomb seems not to be attractive for tourists. If you want a not crowded place to visit, this tomb is an ideal place. The fresh air without any crowds here will also make you feel very comfortable and peaceful.
- In generally, all the tombs are worth visiting because of their value of history and architecture. And you should choose the most suitable tombs depending on your budget and time. To be more convenient, you should choose the most 3 popular tombs ( Khai dinh tomb, Minh mang tomb and Tu Duc tomb) as they are included in most of Hue city tours. If you don’t have much budget or do not like the crowd, you should choose the less popular tombs.
4. How much for entrance fee each hue royal tomb
Most of the tombs charge entrance fee and prices of the tickets are updated yearly. The price of the tickets for each tomb is also different depending on their popularity. So how much for entrance fee each hue royal tomb in 2022?
4.1: Entrance fee each hue royal tomb in 2022
To get tickets for the tombs and monuments in Hue, you can buy at the ticket boxes in front of each tomb or at the Citadel.
|Royal Tombs||Adult||Children ( aged: 7-12)||Validity|
|Gia Long Tomb||50.000 VNĐ||Free||1 day|
|Minh Mang Tomb||150.000 VNĐ||30.000 VNĐ||1 day|
|Thieu Tri Tomb||50.000 VNĐ||Free||1 day|
|Tu Duc Tomb||150.000 VNĐ||30.000 VNĐ||1 day|
|Duc Duc Tomb||50.000 VNĐ||Free||1 day|
|Dong Khanh Tomb||50.000 VNĐ||Free||1 day|
|Khai Dinh Tomb||150.000 VNĐ||30.000 VNĐ||1 day|
4.2: Combo Tickets
The entrance fee seems so high if you buy the ticket for each tomb separately. Therefore, Combo tickets are sold to save money for the tourists who are planning to visit several attractions of the complex of Hue Monuments. The combo tickets are more beneficial.
Combo of 3 Attractions: Hue Imperial Palace – Minh Mang Tomb – Khai Dinh Tomb
- This combo ticket is for visiting 3 main attractions in Hue including The Citadel, Minh Mang Tomb, & Khai Dinh Tomb. With this combo ticket, you can save 80,000 VND per adult and 20,000 VND per child.
- Adults: 420,000 VND per person
- Children 7-12 yrs old: 80,000 VND per person
- The combo ticket is valid in 2 days
Combo of 4 Attractions: Hue Imperial Palace – Minh Mang Tomb – Tu Duc Tomb – Khai Dinh Tomb
- This combo ticket is for visiting 4 main attractions in Hue including The Citadel, Minh Mang Tomb, Khai Dinh Tomb & Tu Duc tomb. With this combo ticket, you can save 120,000 VND per adult and 30,000 VND per child.
- Adults: 530,000 VND per person
- Children: 100,000 VND per person
- The combo ticket is valid in 2 days
Tickets of all attractions
If you are planning to visit all of the attractions that are parts of the complex of Hue Monuments (or at least more than 4 main attractions), getting this combo ticket will be the best choice. With this combo ticket, you can save up to 370,000 VND per adult, but pay extra 10,000 VND per child.
- Adults: 580,000 VND per person
- Children: 110,000 VND per person
- The combo ticket is valid in 3 days
See the summary of entrance fees of Hue royal tombs in the below table:
|Royal Tombs||Adult||Children ( aged: 7-12)||Validity|
|Hue Imperial Palace||200.000||40.000||1 day|
|Tomb Minh Mang/ Tu Duc/Khai Dinh||150.000||30.000||1 day|
|Tomb Gia Long Tomb/ Thieu Tri Tomb/ Dong Khanh Tomb||50.000||Free||1 day|
|Combo ticket ( Imperial Citadel , Minh mang tomb, Khai dinh tomb)||420.000||80.000||2 day|
|Combo ticket ( Imperial Citade, Minh Mang tomb, Khai dinh tomb, Tu Duc tomb)||530.000||100.000||2 days|
|Combo tickets ( All the sites)||580.000||110.000||3 days|
5. How to visit Hue Tomb Tour 1 day
Most of the royal tombs in Hue are easy to reach by car, motorbike and bicycle.
To be convenient, you can join a Hue city tour or Hue tomb tour that included these tombs from Travel companies in Hue city. There are many types of tours for you to choose.
If you would like to visit them on your own. You can rent a bike/motorcycle/taxi / private car for getting to the tombs easily. For a private car, depending on how many tombs you would like to visit and the size of the car, the price will be from $40 to $65/ day/car. While about $ 3-$5 for a bike, and $7- $10 for a motorcycle.
Hope that with this article, you have learnt more about Nguyen Dynasty and their royal tombs. Let’s plan for your trip to visit Hue royal tombs now!